Healthy Schools Award
Taking part in Healthy Schools, and working successfully for the tiered awards will enable schools to directly support the health and wellbeing of their pupils and staff.
An evaluation of the national programme on which HSL is based showed the following tangible outcomes:
- Increased amount of opportunities that children and young people have to be physically active in and out of schools
- Increased participation of children and young people in physical activity in and out of school
- Improved links between schools and communities that promote physical activity
- Increased school meal uptake including free school meals
- Improved children and young people’s access to healthy packed lunches and snacks throughout the school day.
The benefits go beyond health. Participating schools have also reported reduced incidence of bullying, improved behaviour and improved attendance.