What is Outdoor Learning?
- ‘In a nutshell, outdoor learning is an umbrella term which covers every type of learning experience which happens outdoors.’ (Juliet Robertson – Dirty Teaching)
- Outdoor learning encompasses all aspect of learning happening outside including adventurous activities, team challenges, environmental education and playground games.
Why Outdoor Learning?
- Learning happens as a result of the relationships between people, the nature of the activity and the place and time where it takes place.
- The idea of place as an important part of the learning process comes from the work of Sir Patrick Geddes (1854 – 1932).
- Lots of our current thinking focusses on the activities and people but misses the place and time.
Outdoor Learning and our Curriculum
- Outdoor learning is a different approach to what many of us may have experienced ourselves at school.
- Outdoor Learning is a core element of every area of our curriculum here at Hayes Primary and it helps to enhance all learning experiences.
- When planning lessons teachers are always looking for opportunities to ensure the learning happens outdoors.