Pupils, staff and parents received e-safety workshops from the Breck foundation about online grooming. We learnt about the process of grooming including what an online groomer looks like and how and where it can happen. We also learnt about the story of Breck Bednar and reflected on how this impacts on our use of social media and gaming.
Grooming is when someone says things or gives things to you, to get you to like and trust them so they can do something that is not good for you.
What can I do to protect my child?
- Look out for your child moving to new platforms to chat.
- Use devices in public spaces.
- Encourage your child to identify safe and trusted adults.
- Make sure your child knows where to go for support.
What to look out for:
- Increased time and secrecy on social media or gaming.
- Spending a lot of time with someone new or who they have only met/befriended.
- Key relationship or friendship changes.
- Changes in their core values and beliefs.
- CEOP https://www.ceop.police.uk/safety-centre/
- Internet Watch Foundation https://www.iwf.org.uk/
- Call your local police. 101.
- Childline 0800 1111
- NSPCC Helpline 0808 800 5000